A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

Nut-Free Raw 'Pad Thai'

I have enjoyed this type of salad for a while, and what with it being January and feeling as though I need to detoxify and cleanse my body, I have turned to it once again.


I originally made my own version inspired by this recipe from ‘Lips so facto'- recommended by the lovely Lily Pebbles – and as with most other recipes of this kind, it is particularly heavy on nut butter. With both my best friend and mother having nut allergies, I was very aware that there must be others out there looking for an alternative which they could also enjoy. In this new version, I used sesame in place of nuts but this could just as easily be made with any other seed butter.

And yes, I have used a spiralizer, but this one is small and easily stored away when I’m not using it. I couldn’t bear (slash wasn’t allowed) to buy yet another bulky gadget that would just be squirreled away in a cupboard somewhere, taking up much-needed space. It works much like a giant, double-ended pencil sharpener and takes only minutes to clean.
 

Serves 2 as a side or 1 as a main meal
 

Ingredients

1 large carrot
1 courgette
½ avocado, sliced
Sprinkle of fresh herbs (coriander and mint)

For the Dressing

2 tbsp sesame seeds, ground
2tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp raw honey (I used Manuka 15+)
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp liquid aminos (or low sodium soy/tamari)
juice of 1/2 lime

Method

Finely grind the seeds using a pestle and mortar then add the remaining ingredients, mixing to a paste. Simply cover the spiralized vegetables and herbs with the dressing and serve. If you don't have a pestle and mortar, you can use a small blender instead.

Optional extras

- Other finely sliced vegetables such as onion, pepper, chilli
- Edamame beans, sliced avocado, or tofu for added protein


To make this recipe even easier, you could use 2 tbs light Tahini in place of the sesame oil and seeds. And if you’re like me, and not on a totally raw vegan diet, you could have grilled fish or chicken with this as a healthy side (making it more appealing in the coldest January weathers).



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature