A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

Avocado Mayo (Discovered From An Unexpectedly Healthy Recipe Book)

I received several cookery books for Christmas, but one particular one has rapidly become my (surprising) favourite. I like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall as much as the rest, but I expected any book of his to be one that I would reach for in a few weeks time – when I had had enough of the January eating regime and was ready for something more hearty. But I was completely wrong! Only the fact that it is titled ‘Light & Easy’ lead to me giving it a chance.
On closer inspection I discovered that all the recipes are wheat and dairy free, in which Hugh explains his rationale behind this decision very eloquently within the Introduction - well worth a read! He is clear to state that this book is not intended for those who are in to ‘dieting’ and counting calories, but that he hopes it will change the way people eat – forever, and for the better. Well I am a convert HFW!


Every dish I have made so far has lived up to its promise of being healthy, well-balanced and straightforward to put together, as well as being truly delicious.  And even if I don’t follow each recipe to the letter, it is also a wonderful source of inspiration. (I also love that there is a whole chapter dedicated to ‘treats’)
A recent discovery was the avocado ‘mayo’ with chickpea salad. Made by my mum (yes, she has the book too. In fact, it was she who gifted it to me)


 

For the mayo:

1 large ripe avocado
2 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp English mustard
½ garlic clove
Sea salt and black pepper

Simply whiz the ingredients in a food processor and drizzle over salad leaves. We stirred in chickpeas for this recipe, but on tasting I think it would work for many salads, particularly ones containing a salty element (bacon, anchovies) as the ‘mayo’ has a rather mellow flavour.

I'm rather excited to keep trying recipes from this wonderful book. I'm thinking something from the 'Treats' section will have to be next!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature