A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

New Year, New Furniture


I have a huge love of teak furniture. So much so, that I cannot walk past a piece without stopping and admiring (and sometimes even stroking). So when I saw this beautiful filing cabinet in a ‘throw away’ pile at work I just couldn’t let it happen. I wasn’t exactly in the market for a new piece of furniture but I simply knew that I had to make it work! It is just my type of thing; a mix of mid-century modern, shabby, and industrial.

When I rescued it, it lay flush to the ground with no legs or stand. It could have worked equally as well as a low coffee table with some casters fixed to the bottom but I decided to opt for (yet another) sideboard.

During a visit to Sweden in early 2015 I noticed many pieces of furniture with hairpin legs and - as often happens - once they were on my radar, I saw those bloomin’ hairpin legs everywhere.

After some unsuccessful hunting at local vintage markets, I decided to turn to good ol’ eBay and of course they had exactly what I needed. I opted for unfinished stainless steel legs with three-rods as opposed to two as I needed the stability for such a heavy unit. And at 14” it made the cabinet just the right height for my room dimensions, but I could have also gone up to 18” if I wanted a taller unit.

My very helpful handyman - otherwise known as ‘the husband’ - attached all four legs with sixteen screws (8 x ¾) using a Makita Cordless drill.



I think it makes a nice addition to my entrance hall, and has proven to be extremely useful as the drawers are the perfect size for keys/wallet etc; basically, all the little ‘bits’ that normally get left lying around, looking unsightly.

2 comments on "New Year, New Furniture"
  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that i have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Grey Office Furniture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zem,
      That's really great to hear! I'm hoping to do more furniture posts soon.
      Emma

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature