A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

Winter Skincare Essentials

I had always considered myself to have pretty ‘normal’ skin – slightly oily in the summer and then more dry in the colder months – but as I’ve got older, my skin has reacted in more extreme ways to contrasting climates. This current winter I have particularly suffered with dry, very parched skin so I needed to change up my skincare accordingly. I swapped to richer, weightier formulas aimed to sooth and nourish dehydrated skin and I think I’ve found some products I would even consider awarding with ‘Holy Grail’ status. And that term is never one to be used lightly...

L - R Nuxe Creme Fraiche Mask, Laura Mercier Body Souffle, Eucerin Soothing Care Moisturiser, Blistex Relief Cream

Eucerin Ultra Sensitive Soothing Care Moisturiser

I have discovered Eucerin skincare in the last year. It is one of those ‘French Pharmacy’ brands, a notion that is becoming more and more popular in the UK (and for good reason too). This particular moisturiser is aimed at hypersensitive, reactive skin and is free from parabens, fragrance, alcohol etc, etc, etc. I find that it leaves my skin feeling nourished but not greasy. It’s also a great base for makeup as it absorbs very quickly but keeps skin feeling moisturised all day. It really was a great find! I have the dry skin formula, but there is also a formula for oily skin so I will be trying that out in the summer.

 

Nuxe crème Fraiche De Beauté Masque

Another French Pharmacy Hero! Despite the very wordy (totally French) name, this product is a straightforward intensive moisture mask. It is designed to be used when flying, to add an extreme hit of hydration that lasts for 24 hours. Unlike the traditional offerings we have come to expect when we hear the word ‘mask’ (the ones where you can’t move your face or that you peel off like a second skin), it is lightweight and does in fact appear to be just like an ordinary moisturiser. But boy does it pack a hydrating punch! The instructions suggest leaving the mask on for 10 minutes, then to massage in any excess product, or remove it with a light cleanser. I prefer to do the former and leave it overnight to really work its magic. In the winter I use it twice a week but it’s also become a travel essential as it is ideal for when skin feels ‘thirsty’ after a day in the drying sun.

 

Blistex Relief Cream

For those days when no other lip balm will cut it! I have used Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Balm for years but for some reason, it just wasn’t doing the job this year. I had what could only be described as ‘lizard lips’ but within two days of using this they were back to feeling smooth and plump. It does contain ammonia, so smells very medicinal and leaves a thick white cast on the lips so I would suggest using it sparingly in the day and then really layer it on overnight.

 

Laura Mercier Soufflé Body Crème

It doesn’t matter what I do, my pins are dry and flaky all year round, but in the winter they’re a whole new kind of dry. That’s why for me any kind of moisturiser is a necessity but I particularly enjoy products with a soufflé or body butter type consistency as they tend to be thicker and richer, meaning they stick around for longer before I need to slather on another layer. I love the deliciously scented offerings from the Laura Mercier ‘Gourmand’ range for this very reason and Crème De Pistache is my ultimate fave (even if wearing it does make me crave pistachio ice cream all day!). Oils work nicely too but in my experience can sometimes be a little messy and take a while to dry so are not recommended at night if you have just put on your fancy bed sheets. 


Please comment and let me know what your winter skin essentials are...
2 comments on "Winter Skincare Essentials"
  1. I adore Nuxe but I've not tried the Masque and really want to know! I forever lusting after Laura Mercier and the body souffle sounds luxurious and I adore the packaging x


    Jenny | Krystel Couture

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the scents are gorgeous from LM! I also love Ambre Vanillé.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature