A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

Beetroot Pancakes with Goat’s Curd and Mushrooms

I know that there are some real pancake purists out there, who believe that the only option for Shrove Tuesday is lemon and sugar, but I thought I would switch it up a bit and opt for savoury pancakes. Beetroot and goat’s cheese are a classic salad combination, and one that I have always enjoyed, ‘so why not go with that?’ I thought.

Having made easy banana pancakes before, consisting of only three ingredients - banana, eggs and flour -  I saw no reason why the banana couldn’t easily be replaced with a more savoury, pink counterpart.  Mushrooms compliment the earthy beetroot perfectly and when paired with the goat’s cheese, they create a really tasty filling.



Makes 10-12 pancakes.

Ingredients:

200g cooked beetroot
3 medium eggs
2 tbsp flour (I used spelt)

½ tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to season
Rapeseed oil for cooking

Filling:

Mushrooms
Goat’s curd (50-70g)
Pine nuts
Spinach
Thyme (optional)

 

Method:

Add the eggs, beetroot, flour vinegar and seasoning to a mixer or blender to create a smooth batter (I used my Nutribullet and it worked perfectly). 


Add a small amount of oil to a pan on low-medium heat and once hot, spoon the batter in to the pan. I used the back of the spoon to make sure each pancake was circular(ish) and managed to fit three pancakes in the pan at one time. 


Leave them to cook on one side for around 4 minutes. You will notice small bubbles forming on the surface, telling you it’s time to flip! Once they have cooked on the second side you can remove them and add more batter to the pan, repeating the process all over until you have used it all up. (The batter will keep in the fridge for several days so you don’t have to use it all in one go if you don’t want to).


In a separate pan, cook your filling. I added the mushrooms first until they were golden, then the pine nuts. I waited until the very last minute to crumble in the curd and wilt the spinach. When stacking the pancakes, I alternated between pancakes and filling, leaving quite a bit to scatter on top. 


These were great for Sunday brunch but I think they will be just as good for dinner on Tuesday. They had the right amount of sweetness from the beetroot and saltiness from the curd.

If you too opt for something different to the regular Pancake Day fare this year I would love to hear about it.
1 comment on "Beetroot Pancakes with Goat’s Curd and Mushrooms"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature