A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

Layered Mason Jar Salads

Although I have cupboards and cupboards full of Tupperware, I can never seem to find the right thing I need when preparing lunches (probably because I still cannot manage to put the container with its matching lid!). And salads are particularly hard to pack as you need a separate space or extra small containers for dressings/toppings etc.


One type of vessel I am in abundance of is small decorative jars; probably due to the fact that last year I made it my mission to collect as many jam jars, mason jars and antique vases as I could in order to decorate our wedding venue, and I ended up with over a hundred of the bloomin’ things!

I’m never stuck for a way to pack my salads now and because the jars are tall, the ingredients can be strategically stacked so that a) nothing becomes soggy and b) hardier vegetables can be marinated for hours in the dressing before lunchtime.

Just remember to always add the dressing first so that it remains mainly untouched, at the bottom of the jar, and that the more robust ingredients are added next so that they can macerate in the flavours without sucking up too much of it or wilting. That being said, all soft or porous ingredients, such as mushrooms or croutons, should be added later so that they remain near the top of the jar and away from all liquid acidity.

If you are against the idea of carrying around glass jar -either because it is too dangerous...or just heavy- then I have used one of my Nutribullet cups with its screw lid before and it did the job nicely. It’s not as pretty mind you, but it definitely is a lot more portable.


Fennel and Radish Salad with Rye Breadcrumbs

 


Fennel and radishes - thinly sliced, cos lettuce, blueberries, rye bread (roasted in olive oil and salt and pepper).

 

Dressing

1 tbsp olive oil
I tsp honey
Handful of berries, smashed (I used raspberries and blueberries)
½ lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper to taste



 

Thai Salad with Rare Roast Beef

 


Left over roast beef - thinly sliced, cucumber - de-seeded and thinly sliced, Enoki mushrooms, cabbage, carrot, red pepper, toasted sesame seeds, bean sprouts.

 

Dressing

1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp soy sauce (or tamari/liquid aminos)
1 garlic clove, minced
½ lime, juiced
Pinch of chilli flakes


I'd love to hear of any other original ways of transporting your lunch...
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature