A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

My Favourite Face Masks

I thought that some of you would find a quick rundown of my favourite face masks a helpful read. Just to give you some context; at this time of year my skin is dry/combination, having the potential to be problematic and spot-prone all year round. I tend to favour masks that resurface and decongest but that don’t strip my skin of all of its moisture. I have also had reactions to lavender and mineral oil in the past so I avoid those particular ingredients at all costs.

L-R: Nuxe, Aesop, James Read, Ren


The Moisture Mask -Nuxe crème Fraiche De Beauté Masque - £18.50 for 50ml

I featured this mask in a previous post on winter skincare so check that out as I have gone in to a little more detail there. But in short, this mask is very much like an intensive moisturiser; it applies just like a rich moisturiser and can be left on overnight to replenish and soothe even the most dehydrated of skins. No peeling or washing off, just slap it on and go to sleep! (P.S. if you can remember to apply a layer of this after taking off your makeup - but before passing out - after a night of drinking, your skin will thank you in the morning for doing so).

 

 

The Clay Mask– Aesop Primrose Facial Cleansing Masque – £23 for 60ml

‘Mud Masks’ were like, so totally 80’s - It’s all about the clay now darling. Having problematic skin, I am a big fan of masks that include clay because of its healing properties and ability to eliminate toxins from the body. This particular mask from Aesop is a wonderful product as it contains two types of clay - Kaolin and Bentonite – that are listed within the first three ingredients (along with water) in the ingredients list. It is a very lightweight formula that once dry, isn’t...well, too dry! Your skin still feels as if it can breathe whilst you have this on. The instructions advise to leave this on for 15 minutes but I have been known to leave it on for up to half an hour with positive effects. My skin is left feeling clearer and less congested, but nicely hydrated, and all of the angry bumps that were there before seem to shrink. My skin just feels generally calmer. It also smells gloriously green and floral – very ‘spa’ like.

 

The Peeling Mask – James Read Tan Perfecting Enzyme Peel Mask - £12 for 75ml

This is the kind we all envisage when we hear the words ‘face mask’. You know, the ones you used as a teenager, waiting for the second they felt dry so that you could pretend as if you were peeling off the top layer of skin? Well this mask is exactly that. It’s a clear gel texture that sets to a smooth plastic-like film on the skin. Once peeled, my skin is left feeling clean and smooth as if all of the dead skin has been peeled away. Because of this, and as its name suggests, it is great used in preparation for tanning. The enzymes lightly exfoliate, whilst the inclusion of cucumber and pomegranate help to combat wrinkles (excellent news!). The only negative is the smell – although alcohol doesn’t seem to appear in the ingredients list, it smell quite strongly of alcohol; this does however disappear once the mask has set.

 

 

The Brightening Mask – Ren Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask - £32 for 50ml

I love to use this one when my skin is looking a little lacklustre and dull, and needs brightening up. The first time I used it felt a little strange but do not let the fact that it has the texture and smell of marmalade put you off! The instructions advise to use this only once a week and to leave it on for 10 minutes, and honestly, I would suggest sticking to that as it can tingle a little whilst working its magic. And if you have very sensitive skin then you may want to give this one a miss altogether. However, I’m of the view that “tingling is good, but burning is bad” and I haven’t felt the burn with this one yet so it remains a ‘keeper’ for me.
This mask is intended to be removed with warm water. As an added bonus, a muslin cloth is included which really helps with its removal due to the products ‘sticky’ consistency. I just love how radiant my skin looks after I use this! The natural fruit acids (passion fruit, lemon, grape and pineapple) help to exfoliate the top layer of skin and reduce fine lines. I also like that my pigmentation and acne scars appear lighter and a little less visible once I wash this off. 



I’d love to know of your ‘Holy Grail’ masks. Have I missed any good’uns from the list?
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature