A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

The Wedding Detox - Store Cupboard Ingredients for Healthy Eating

In the months leading up to my wedding I did what most brides to and began to be more disciplined with my calorie intake and decided to exercise a little more frequently (I even took part in ‘boot camp’ style classes early on a Saturday morning). I was fairly happy with my figure to begin with and didn’t want to make any drastic changes, especially as my dress had been altered to fit like a glove, but knew that this was the one day when I wanted to look and feel at my absolute best.

In the final week before the big day I decided to follow a detox plan by Dietitian, Juliette Kellow. I had discovered it quite a few months earlier and remembered having some noticeable results; I’d lost a few pounds, felt lighter and trimmer, my skin was clearer and I seemed to have lots more energy. All boxes ticked!

I would like to highlight that this isn’t one of those crazy ‘eat nothing but pepper and lemon juice for three weeks’ fads that had been very popular a few years ago (mainly because of a particularly bootylicious babe that shall remain unnamed!). It is intended to be followed for only seven days and shouldn’t leave you short of nutrients as all of the components are natural, wholesome food sources. It’s pretty easy to follow as it’s separated in to ‘foods to include’ and ‘foods to avoid’ (red meat, caffeine and alcohol to name a few – ouch! But hey, it’s only seven days). The ‘foods to include’ list is quite extensive and incorporates a mix of fresh produce as well as dried and canned ingredients.

If you’re looking to detox then take a look, but I’d like to run through some of the elements of the plan that I still consider ‘essentials’ in my day-to-day diet.  I found these items to be extremely versatile, and always having them stored in the pantry means that I’m never too far from a healthy meal – so no excuses!




Nuts and seeds – My favourites are cashews and almonds but all variations are great. Add them to stir fries, as salad toppings, or roasted and enjoyed as a snack. Flax seeds are a good alternative to Chia seeds when added to smoothies and cereals. Nut butters are also a favourite for thickening smoothies and adding protein.

Brown rice – including pasta and noodles made from brown rice flour. The possibilities are endless.

Pulses and beans – dried or canned (in water only, not brine). These can be the main protein source for a soup or curry, or blended and made in to a dip. Try roasting chickpeas in spices like I did here.

Canned vegetables – A humble can of tomatoes can be the basis of a sauce for pretty much any meal; chilli, lasagne, curry, pasta, soup. These canned sweet cherry tomatoes are a little pricier, but well worth it!

Honey – as sugar is on the ‘avoid’ list, honey is the next best thing. I like to include Manuka honey in teas, salad dressings and sauces (and anywhere else you would normally add a pinch of sugar). It doesn’t have to be Manuka, but I like added benefits that come with it.

Coconut Oil – A wonder ingredient. Full stop.

Rye Bread - This is a great alternative to bread made from wheat. It does take some getting used to but it's nice and filling - and better once toasted and topped with avocado and salmon, or with peanut butter. It can be a vessel for both sweet or savoury fillings.

Stock and spices – When cooking, I use lots of fresh and dried herbs and spices. I try to avoid using large amounts of salt – although I do use pink Himalayan salt – but don’t want my food to be lacking in flavour. These Kallo vegetable stock cubes are great as they are organic and low in sodium. A can of coconut milk is another cupboard hero of mine.


I do, of course, shop for fresh ingredients every few days but when doing a ‘big shop’ I like to buy two of every item mentioned above so that I know have the basis of a healthy meal to hand.



Let me know what your store cupboard heroes are.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature