A blog about food, beauty, curls and everyday living.

My Picks for Bold Red Lips

I adore rocking a red lip all year round but I tend to find that in the warmer months I opt for a sheerer, more ‘wearable’ formula that leans to the pink or coral side of the colour palette.

There is just something about the Autumn/Winter season that make us feel a little more daring and I love seeing all of the gorgeous berry toned, matte lips that have been popping up...well everywhere, recently. 
I have some favourites that I crack out year after year, and I have just purchased a newer ‘bold matte’ from Nars that I cannot wait to rock ASAP.


Clockwise from Left...

Mac Lip Pencils in ‘Redd’ and ‘Burgundy’ – Both favourites because of how extremely versatile they are. Matte in texture, and as they are in pencil form, it makes achieving a sharp, defined edge a whole lot easier than using a lipstick bullet.
Burgundy is true to its name. It can be worn under other colours to darken them, or it can be worn alone for a real vampy look.
Redd is a true neutral red, neither too blue based nor orange, which makes it great for layering. Again, it can be used on its own, drawn over the whole lip, or under other colours - such as a bright pink or an orangey coral - to add more of a red tone. 
Both pencils used together make a berry colour that is going to stick around for most of the night – even through drinking and eating.

Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick #107 – An oldie but a goody! The formulation of this is Matte, yet rich and creamy. Like its name, it really does last and for a matte texture is not too drying at all. It’s a true berry which sits smack bang in the middle of deep purple and red. I like to apply this with a lip brush or lightly dabbed over a combination of the lip liners featured below.

 Revlon Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick #720 Fire and Ice – I love this colour! It is a perfect bright red that in some lights can appear orangey, and in others pinkish. I think it would suit most skin tones and really adds radiance to the face that seems to draw in the compliments whenever I wear it. Its formula is nourishing and plumping, yet fairly long lasting. There is a reason why this shade has stood the test of time and is still selling after being in Revlon’s collection way back in 1952. Yes Revlon, ‘the legend lives on’.
YSL Glossy stain #10 Red
– Code name for ‘Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Vernis à Lèvres’ but what a mouthful! This is a truly unique texture, a long-lasting stain formula with a glossy shine. I find that I need to apply two or three coats, allowing them to dry in between and then this is set for the majority of the night. It feels light and not too sticky and stays glossy for a good 4-6 hours. You can top up throughout the night but not too many times as with more layers it can begin to feel ‘gloopy’.

Topshop Gloss Ink in Relentless – This is a more affordable offering in the same ‘glossy stain’ formula. The colour is a bright red leaning slightly on the orange side. You may be able to tell from the swatches that the formula of this is more rich and opaque than its higher end contender and I actually prefer the more affordable option. It holds its ‘glossiness’ for as long as the YSL stain and requires fewer layers so feels lighter on the lips. I have a terrible feeling that these may now have been discontinued, as on my last visit to Topshop I discovered that there were none of these on the shelves. I am praying that lots of others have realised how wonderful this product is and bought every last one*crosses fingers. I will be using mine sparingly just in case!

Nars Velvet Matt Lip Pencil in Cruella – This is my newest purchase, and yes I can now see that it is just another matte berry shade that I probably already own in several forms. But I have to admit, this was an impulse purchase, made after hearing this lovely lady gush about them for weeks. Anyway, I am not disappointed! The formula is great, not drying at all but looks ultra-matte and stays in place. I got the shade Cruella which is more of a red-toned burgundy and I found it extremely easy to apply due to it being in a handy pencil form. I will however need to purchase a larger sharpener, as (annoyingly) it is just too large for my usual one.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature